In his brilliant book “The Long War Against God” Master Books (2000) Dr. Henry W. Morris coins my understanding of theistic evolution and liberal theology like this:
“Perhaps the most distressing evidence of the dominance of modern life and thought by evolutionism, however, is the fact that modern institutional Christianity itself has largely accepted evolution and reinterpreted the Bible and theology to fit it. Departments of philosophy and religion in secular universities have largely become humanistic, either atheistic or pantheistic. In Christian colleges and seminaries, especially in the mainline denominations, theistic evolution is all but universally accepted, with the early chapters of Genesis dismissed as spiritual allegories. This understanding of Chritianity’s foundations in Genesis has inevitably led to “liberalization” of the rest of the Bible in many of these institutions, explaining away the miracles of the Bible and the traditional authorship of its 66 books.”
I quote from Dr. Morris, again from his book “The Biblical Basis for Modern Science” Master Books (2002) to emphasise my point of view.
“Certain faint minded Christians (Heb. 12:3), alarmed at the dominance of humanistic evolutionary thought among modern scientists and unwilling to stand forthrightly against this untoward philosophy, have propounded what they call the Double Revelation Theory. According to this idea, God has provided two revelations to man, one in scripture, the other in nature. Both of these, they say, are equally valid when rightly interpreted. The theologian is the interpreter of God’s word, dealing with matter of faith and conduct; the scientist is the interpreter of God’s world, dealing with matters of fact in science and history. When these two revelations appear to conflict, the scientist must defer to the theologian if it is a matter of faith, but the theologian must defer to the scientist if it is a supposed matter of fact.
The Long War against God-Henry Morris, part 1
Taking God’s Word Seriously 16 Sept. 2003
Review of The Long War Against God By Dr. Henry Morris
Here are some points about the book that I would like to emphasise:
1) Evolution could not be God’s method of creation. It is too cruel, inefficient and irrational. Jesus’ nature (the incarnate WORD), life and character are a vivid refutation of evolution.
2) (remember that in 3 days Jesus rose again with a new body. He didn’t need 3 billions of years of struggle, suffering and death to evolve one).
3) Evolution is part of different pagan traditions that developed (specially after Babel) in the darkness of sin. These traditions have always been with us. Platonism and Aristotelism are just to examples of how these traditions influenced christian theology (Augustine and Aquinas), because christian theologians thought that the Bible might be missing something. Henry Morris, followint the teachings of Jesus and His apostles (v.g. Peter, Paul) simply states that the Bible is not missing something. If one reads the Bible, one has to conclude that that’s exactely what the Bible teaches about itself.
4) The Sermon of the Mount is the proof that God has nothing to do with survival of the fittest. Every time christians engage in deception, violence, murder and genocide (which unfortunately they have done), they are violating the laws of the Creator and showing that “all have sinned: all fall short of God’s glorious ideal” Rom 3-23).
5) Contrary to popular belief, science hasn’t proved evolution, nor could it, because evolution simply didin’t happen. If you think science has proved evolution, think again:
a) the origin of the universe and the origin of life remain a mistery. Even Miller and Urey have confessed that life may be much more complicated than they have thought. How can one affirm evolution as a fact when the first step (the origin of life) of it remains a profound mistery? The prebiotic soup and abiogenesis are nothing but a just-so story.
b)It is still to be found a single mutation that is able to create new DNA information that codes for new functions and structures. Mutations reshuffle, duplicate sort, exchange, remove or maintain pre-existing information. They just don’t create new information. Natural selection removes information. Speciation is not evolution. Creationist only deny the latter. They perfectly accept (and predict) natural selection and speciation.
c) There are no transitional forms in the fossil record and in molecular biologicy. Based on evolution’s predictions, we should expect trillions. The few that have been put forward are highly controversial, even among evolutionists. Not a single one is consensual among evolutionists themselves.
d) Vestigial organs are not vestigial organs after all. The same is true about “junk-DNA”. Both turn out to have a design function. So much for another “proof” of evolution.
e) Evidence of design is overwhelming and growing. Examples of irreducible complexity and complex specified information abound. Fine-tuning is everywhere. Billions of examples.
f) Some so called bad design is simply not bad design, or it may be the result of deterioration. The Panda’s thumb is actually excellent design, after all. Steven Jay Gould was just a “nasty little boy”.
g) Gradualism didn’t happen. Creationists will have to agree with Steven Jay Gould on this one.
h) Saltationism and punctuaded equilibrium are “scientific” nonsense. Creationists will have to agree with Richard Dawkins on this one.
i) Many geologists speak in terms of (Lyell’s) uniformitarianism. But the rocks and the fossils themselves are shouting: “Flood!”. The Flood remains the best explanation for the existence of numerous flood traditions, the fossil record, the continental drift, the ice age, oil and coal deposits, the catastrophic evidence of rock formation and displacement, etc.
j) “Ontogenesis recapitulate phylogenesis”. Just one more example of a failed attempt to prove evolution. Nice try. It has been refuted and Haeckel’s embrios denounced as fake. The problem is that for many decades this was used to persuade people that evolution was a scientific fact. Many imature young christians used it to “debunk” God’s Word.
k) Creationists are not against science. God’s created universe is there to be known and studied. However, the Universe is not just matter, energy, space and time. It is also information. Information is the bridge between God’s mind, the universe and human’s mind. The more we appreciate it, the more we can see God’s glory. Human brains and the Earth itself have been designed by God for scientific discovery.
Creationists just distinguish between operational science and origins naturalistic speculation. But the universe is also about God’s moral law. Sin is a kind of virus that also affects the workings of the Universe. That’s why God cursed the universe when sin entered the world.
The Universe has large amounts of information, but not all the information we need. There are somethings about God, creation, sin, curse, Flood, Babel, redemption, new creation, etc. that the uníverse is unable to inform us about. That’s why we need the Bible.